Desert Rain House: The first residential building to achieve the rigorous Living Building Challenge Certification
The Desert Rain House is a 2236 sq.ft, one storey residential building located in Bend, Oregon. It has been conceived with the idea of constructing an ‘extreme dream green home’ in the year 2008. The building consists of the main residence, a detached guest house, a second detached guest house/ office studio and garages. Some of the key features of the building are:
- 100% Net zero in terms of energy.
- 100% self-contained rainwater collection.
- 100% processing of waste water.
- Carbon neutral.
- 35% of the site area used for food production.
- A Biophilic approach to design and selection of materials.